Know your rights

Home Forums Discussion Know your rights

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    John May

I am sure we’ve all had people in cars harass us. I’ve learned a few things over the years. Practice looking at license plates of cars as they pass. Carry a pen in your seat bag to write down plate numbers when needed.

If you call the cops, don’t call the village cops. If the event happened in Dover and you live in Newton, you’ll have to go to Dover to call the Dover cops. The Newton cops have no jurisdiction there. So, always call the state police. Then there is no argument as to where it happened. Tell the cops that you want to press charges. Do not tell them that you just want the cops to talk to the driver. Without charges to press, the cop has no authority and can’t do much. Remember that even if the car does not hit you or the thrown bottle does not hit you or the can thrown at you does not hurt you, it’s still assault. An assault is an attempt to injure.

And used to assault, a car is a deadly weapon. Assault with a deadly weapon is a felony, not a misdemeanor. Ask the next guy who is screwing with you on the road if he’d like to be brought up on felony charges!

Sure, it’s their word against yours and if you’ve not been hurt, probably nothing is going to happen, but you can at least shake up the jerks and let them worry about going to court. You can always drop the charges.

And never get into a fight or throw things back. Just get their plate number and call the state police.

These are all things I have learned over the years, some the easy way, some the hard way!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Trackback URL

Built by Asteriskr | Powered by Wordpress | Served by Aegishosting | RSS Feed | Twitter Feed | Log in |

© 2004-2013 Independent Fabrication Owners' Club: All text and images copyright unless otherwise stated