Weight Limit

Home Forums Discussion Weight Limit

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Helmut

I intend to built up my 98s IF steel deluxe with Igleheart fork for longer trips as a travel bike. Are there any weight restrictions for the bike? I would be grateful for any information. Greetings from Germany

Helmut

Dave Bradley

I would think the bike would do fine. The wheels will need to be stout. How much weight are you expecting to be on the bike? I am assuming you mean packed weight. I would think a 32 or 36 hole 3 cross wheel would do ok.

Cris Bloomfield
    Keymaster

How is it looking internally when you take the bottom bracket out of the shell?

I have had all of my steel IF frames drilled for drainage given the climate here in the UK…

Helmut

The frame has no rust inside. I removed the bottom bracket. The threads in the bottom bracket are like new. I have protected my whole IF and Fat Chance bikes with Fat Mike Sanders or fluid film corrosion protection against rust.

Darren

Helmut,

My bet is the bike would be fine, unless it was custom built for a very light rider.  It’s a ’98, is it a ‘stock’ frame?  My guess is yes.  Also, Dave gave some good advice on beefier wheels.  Cris, you mentioned drilling  the bb.  On a non IF bike I have a bolt hole at the bottom for a cable guide, but no bolt or cable holder, as I am running this bike as a SS.  Should I find a bolt to fit the hole, or leave it like you have done.  Thoughts anyone?  I’m running a square taper bb if that matters at all.

Thanks!

Darren

Cris Bloomfield
    Keymaster

Darren

I would say it will be fine! If you look at old italian road frames some had big cut outs in the shell to ensure drainage, not just a single 3/16th drilled hole. Like this old Gios:

Gios

The whole point is so that the bearings are not sitting in a shell full of water. Originally this was more important with open cage bearings (remember those from the Days of Deore DX?), but even with more modern units it can mean the only way out for the water is through the bearings! Water in the shell can cause the aluminium cups to seize onto the steel body of a square taper cartridge unit or the frame itself in extreme conditions.

If you ride in wet conditions a lot and have a rearward facing seat tube slot then some water will eventually find its way in (a well greased seatpost will help keep it out too). Using a quick release seatpin and adjusting the ride height frequently always used to seem to make things worse too.

Cris

Cris Bloomfield
    Keymaster

Other examples:

Guerciotti
    Star

Colnago
    Colnago

Pinarello
    Pinarello

Faggin
    Faggin

Darren

Thanks Cris!  Helmut, sorry to change the direction of the thread.  Keep riding ya’ll!

Darren

Helmut

no problem Darren. I know the problem with the corroded set tubes already from the Yo Eddy. In the pictures shown above are some very fancy water drains. Thank God that I did not have these problems with my IF ti deluxe. I’ll post some pictures when the If is ready to travel. Incidentally, it is the baby blue frame of Kingroon with the Chris Igleheart that I’ll build up.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Trackback URL

Built by Asteriskr | Powered by Wordpress | Served by Aegishosting | RSS Feed | Twitter Feed | Log in |

© 2004-2013 Independent Fabrication Owners' Club: All text and images copyright unless otherwise stated