Rebuild my 2004 Crown Jewel?

Home Forums Discussion Rebuild my 2004 Crown Jewel?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Shorr

Just brought my IF Crown Jewel back from maintenance at the IF dealer here in SATX. My mechanic tells me they had to replace the original Ultegra bottom bracket. That part lasted me since I purchased the bike roughly 28500 miles ago.

Now I’m looking at what to do as the rest of the Ultegra gruppo wears out. One option is to get a fresh paint job and rebuild the bike from the frame up.

How much life do you think is left in my 9 1/2 year old steel frame?

What would you do?

Here’s pictures of the bike when new: http://www.ifrider.com/patriotic-crown-jewel-2/

Darren

Neat story on a neat bike…dedicated to Dad. Just my 2 cents, (and I tend to keep most everything, hardly get rid of anything) I would send the frame back for a repaint. Contact IF. If they can’t do it, they will recommend someone that can replicate there work to a T. I sent back my ’05 SS MTB for a repaint 2.5 years ago, and I love it just as much, if not more than I did when I got it new. It will make you feel like you have a new bike, especially if you are buying a new grouppo for it. Yeah, your CJ might not have a tapered head tube or whatever else is ‘new’, but you will feel good in your soul riding what you had made for you and your father for years to come. I expect to have my IF’s until the day I die. I turn 39 on Sunday, so they should hopefully be around for at least that many more years!

Send it back! Update it with fresh paint and maybe the new script font decal?
    Darren

Josh Tabije

old thread but thought i’d chime in.

i picked up a 2003 vintage crown jewel in 2013. it had been repainted once already a few years ago. it’s my main road bike and there’s no way i’d ever think that it doesn’t have life left.

hopefully you repainted it and got it some new bling and are out riding it!!

Cris Bloomfield
    Keymaster

Lots of life left I’d say! I just finished updating my ’04 Ti Deluxe:

Fall 2016 spec:
    Ti Deluxe

Ti Deluxe

Paint from the paintgun of Chris Rowe still looks as good now as it did then. This bike has done Transalp point to points and raced in the Cape Epic and various 24hr enduros. It still sucks up the punishment from the local trail centre. I love it.

A bit of history…

From back in the day (c.2004)
    Ti Deluxe rear aerial view

TransAlp Mode (c. late 2005)
    Ti Deluxe Alps front view

August 2006
    Titanium Deluxe

March 2007
    Ti Deluxe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Trackback URL

Built by Asteriskr | Powered by Wordpress | Served by Aegishosting | RSS Feed | Twitter Feed | Log in |

© 2004-2013 Independent Fabrication Owners' Club: All text and images copyright unless otherwise stated