Crown jewel vs ssr.Help me decide.

Home Forums Discussion Crown jewel vs ssr.Help me decide.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steve Rogers

Obviously theres a big difference in price.My head says crown jewel but my heart says ssr.Im looking to replace my current fixie frameset (57cm swobo sanchez) and im struggling to decide which.

I do have an eye on weight.Can anyone offer suggested weights for a steel crown jewel and steel fork against that of an ssr with carbon fork? Just how much of a weight penalty will the crown jewel have?

Thanks for any help.

Dave Bradley

I don’t think there is going to be much weight difference between the CJ and the SSR frame, maybe a few ounces, but the addition of a carbon fork to the mix will lighten up either bike.

If you take care of your bikes I think the CJ would do wonderfully and IF can build it however you want. If you truly want a light bike look at the Factory Lightweight and get a true lightweight steel bike.

You might also look at the Ti CJ as it is close to the SSR in price.

Your wheels selection could also be a huge benefit or setback regarding weight.

just my thoughts.

Get the CJ and spring for some super hot wheels! Best of both worlds atmo.

Depending on what you are looking for in terms of ride and aesthetics, there are plenty of choices. I own all three and all three are a bit different.

Out of them, my factory lightweight is my favorite. All the best qualities of the cj with a weight very close to the SSR. There also seems to be a wider variety of tubes available for the FLW compared to the ssr so fine tuning it for your needs and wants is probably easier. Also saves some money compared to the SSR.

Steve Rogers

Thanks both for your input,i hadnt really looked at the lightweight.

Hmmm…decisions,decisions………

John May

My Crown Jewel SE (55) weighs in at wee bit under 17 pounds. If I had the extra $1,300, I might have chosen the SSR on the fact that it would not corrode – and it’s a very unique frame material. (Yeah, snob appeal! I’ll admit it!)

However, I did not have the extra $1,300 and I can tell you that my SE is a sweet ride. I plan to put 3,000 miles on it this season and I more than halfway there.

Actually, if I had enough money, I’d buy one of each frames that IF makes – so if money is not a factor, buy both!

Cris Bloomfield
    Keymaster

If you see either bike as a long term investment, then I would favour the SSR due to the corrosion resistance of the tubesets. The majority of dead steel frames are a result of internal corrosion of the tubing (usually around the BB junction).

Steve Rogers

Well just to put you all out of your misery,cus i know your all bustin to know which frame i went for.I finally got round to ordering an ssr.No paint,it shall arrive resplendent in all its naked stainless lovelyness.And it shall be treated to a rather nice build too.I'll put pics up on the site once its up and running.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Trackback URL

Built by Asteriskr | Powered by Wordpress | Served by Aegishosting | RSS Feed | Twitter Feed | Log in |

© 2004-2013 Independent Fabrication Owners' Club: All text and images copyright unless otherwise stated