1995 Deluxe Frame number and material

Home Forums Discussion 1995 Deluxe Frame number and material

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Carl Davies

Morning

Finally rec'd my Indy from the States…only took one month door to door 8O

The build isn't right yet…..changed the post from black Thomson to Syncros Ti as pictured. Looking for a nice steel or Ti stem .

Wheels I am changing from the current CK's to old school HuGi hubs.

A couple of Q's

1. I can't find the serial number.

2. What steel was used in 95.

Thanks

Carl

Bad picture and yes…the orange cables are going too.

Ebaystuff047.jpg

Filip Clark

Carl,

I'm passing on info that I received about a similar question.

From a member of the FatCogs forum:

"True Temper was the only tubing 95 IFs were built out of. IIRC 853 wasn't even available yet. The rumor at the time was that the IF boys used the same tubes the Yo was built with. Story was that Fat split town and left an outstanding order or something with True Temper for tubes and the IF boys went ahead and bought those tubes. Could have been myth building at the time since they were all pretty bitter about the whole Fat situation and were trying to vilify Chris and Wendyl. The idea that Fat pulled a midnight run and left material behind has been disabused by i-robot, but the idea that they left an order hanging with TT is believable.

So, basically the early IFs were True Temper, same geo as a Yo Eddy, Ritchey dropouts and downtube cable routing for the derailleurs. My understanding was that downtube routing was used to make it more obvious the frame wasn't a copy of a Yo.

True Temper was the only tubing 95 IFs were built out of. IIRC 853 wasn't even available yet. The rumor at the time was that the IF boys used the same tubes the Yo was built with. Story was that Fat split town and left an outstanding order or something with True Temper for tubes and the IF boys went ahead and bought those tubes. Could have been myth building at the time since they were all pretty bitter about the whole Fat situation and were trying to vilify Chris and Wendyl. The idea that Fat pulled a midnight run and left material behind has been disabused by i-robot, but the idea that they left an order hanging with TT is believable.

So, basically the early IFs were True Temper, same geo as a Yo Eddy, Ritchey dropouts and downtube cable routing for the derailleurs. My understanding was that downtube routing was used to make it more obvious the frame wasn't a copy of a Yo."

I am in the process of purchasing a Deluxe, S#52. This frame apparently is TrueTemper. I have another Deluxe, S#269, that is supposedly Reynolds 853…can't verify that though.

Carl Davies

Thanks Filip, most informative. Chaps this side of the pond tend to think it is more likely Wicked Lite stylee…anyway…who cares, it rides beautifully. New pictures uploaded in the Readers Bikes section.

Best

Carl

John Sholl

My Deluxe has a frame #59. Any idea how many were made in 95?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Trackback URL

Built by Asteriskr | Powered by Wordpress | Served by Aegishosting | RSS Feed | Twitter Feed | Log in |

© 2004-2013 Independent Fabrication Owners' Club: All text and images copyright unless otherwise stated